- Other Online Programs
- Contact Us
Become Influential in the Lives of Students
You may already be working with youth or enjoy helping children through their developmental stages. Become a licensed school counselor to further build your students’ social-emotional competencies. Walsh University’s online Master of Arts in Counseling and Human Development – School Counseling program teaches you how to facilitate individual, group and crisis counseling, develop prevention and intervention programs for at-risk students, assist learning disabled students, and facilitate connection to community resources for students and parents. Refine your skills through two internships and a final practicum that fully prepare you to earn your school counseling license in Ohio or several other approved states.
- Build comprehensive knowledge of the school counseling profession, including its history, philosophy, and recent trends.
- Apply counseling approaches to clients/students and families experiencing trauma or loss such as suicide, death of a parent or sibling, homicide, or unexpected death.
- Address issues such as academic achievement, mood and anxiety, oppositional and defiant behavior, sexuality, and substance use/abuse.
- Influence students’ lives through learned counseling methods.
- Consult, collaborate and lead within the educational system through organization/administration knowledge.
- Learn counseling assessment and intervention for relational mental and behavioral problems.
The Walsh Online Master of Arts in Counseling and Human Development program is fully aligned with our CACREP-accredited on-ground program.
Ranked a Best Value School in the MidwestU.S. News & World Report
Recognized as a College of Distinction for Ohio universities, Catholic universities, and overall for 2020-2021
- Now accepting applications for Fall term
- Start Date: August 22, 2022
- Prepare for Licensure
100% of our 2019 students passed their NCE on first attempt and landed jobs within six months of graduation.
- Core Knowledge
Engage in a flexible program that teaches core competencies, counseling in practice, ethical, legal, and professional foundations to serve diverse cultures and communities.
- Field Experience
Practicum and internship sites within your community helps you build experiential hours to gain licensure and enter the field ready to support others
Choose from five convenient starts per year and complete your coursework 100% online, with no on-campus visits required.
- No GRE or MAT Required
When entering the program with a 3.0 GPA or higher, you will not be required to take a GRE or MAT exam prior to enrolling.
- Compassionate Faculty
Guided by Catholic values with an emphasis on human dignity, Walsh provides you with 1:1 faculty guidance to prepare you to become a licensed counselor ready to serve.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale preferred (No GRE required with 3.0 GPA)
- Completion of online application and supporting materials
$10,000 stipend opportunity available to students who are accepted into the COPE program and commit to doing their field experience in an underserved or high-needs area in Northeast OH. Learn more about our COPE program here.
Online School Counseling Program Curriculum
Below is a sample list of courses you will take while enrolled in the online School Counseling program. After finishing 60 credit hours of coursework, you will complete 100 practicum hours and 600 internship hours within your community. For a full list of courses, please download a brochure.