Kent State University; Kent, Ohio
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) (CACREP accredited)
- Counseling and Human Development Services; 12/ 2004
University of Akron; Akron, Ohio
- Master of Marriage and Family Therapy (M.A.); 8/1998
Viterbo College; LaCrosse, Wisconsin
- Bachelor of Liberal Studies (B.L.S.), Art and Psychology Concentration, 12/1994
Dr. Peets is an Associate Professor in the graduate program of Counseling and Human Development. She also maintains the role of Field Experience Coordinator for the Clinical Mental Health Counseling program. She is currently the co-director of the COPE grant (in collaboration with the Occupational Therapy program) a large federal grant that focuses on building interdisciplinary relationships to increase competency and availability of behavioral health services to underserved and high need populations. She holds a bachelor's degree from Viterbo University, a master's degree in Marriage and Family Therapy from the University of Akron and a Ph.D. in Counselor Education and Human Development from Kent State University. She also obtained a divorce mediation certification from the University of Akron. She is currently licensed as a supervising clinical counselor in Ohio (LPCC-S) and has worked in private practice or community agencies for over 20 years. Before joining Walsh, she taught many years as adjunct faculty in both Counselor Education and Child/ Family Development programs. Her research and professional interests include: supervision of clinical mental health counselors, collaborative interprofessional relationships in behavioral health, family systems, counselor education strategies and challenges, women's issues, the experience of therapy from the client's perspective, cultural humility and mental health advocacy for diverse and marginalized populations.
Publications and Presentations:
- Peets, T. (2019) “Becoming a reflective researcher and social advocate” for Social Justice and Advocacy in Counseling: Experiential Activities for Teaching. Pope, M., Gonzalez. M, and Pangelinan, J. (eds.). Taylor& Francis. New York NY.
- Limoges, C., Dennis, E., Emde, R., & Peets, T. (2023). Engaging Online Students in a Creative Learning Environment: The Seven C’s Approach. Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (ACES) Spring Webinar Series
- Karajic-Siwiec, A, Anderson, R., Peets, T., Lingertat- Putnam, C. & Sangganjanavanich, F. (2019) Gatekeeping the profession: the role of evaluation and remediation. Association for Counselor and Education and Supervision. Seattle, Washington
- Zimmerman, L., Peets, T. & Alasti-Ward, S. (2019) Traversing ageism in Multigenerational Supervision. Association for Adult Development and Aging; Chicago, Illnois
- Tessmer, S., Peets, T., & VanMeter C. (2018) Supervision of Group Counseling: Guidelines, Strategies, & Techniques. Association for Specialists in Group Work; Savannah, Georgia.
- Karajic Siwiec, A., Anderson, S. VanMeter, C., Peets, T., Lingertat, C. (2022) CES and supervision ruptures: ethical compass during challenging times. North Atlantic Association of Counseling Education and Supervision, Pittsburgh, PA.
- VanMeter , C., Peets, T., Anderson, R. (2019) Mindful Supervision: Exploring the Ethical dilemma in Supervision. All-Ohio Counselors Conference. Columbus, Ohio
- Zimmerman, L., Peets, T. (2018) Double jeopardy: Counseling minority older adult. Ohio Counseling Association; Spring Conference, Dublin, Ohio.
- VanMeter , C., Peets, T., Anderson, R. & Zimmerman, L. (2018) Using de Bono’s Six Hats Thinking Approach to Enhance Case Conceptualization and Counseling Supervision. All-Ohio Counselors Conference. Columbus, Ohio
- Tessmer, S., VanMeter , C., Peets, T., & Anderson, R. (2018) Supervision of Group Work: How and Why to Prioritize. All-Ohio Counselors Conference. Columbus, Ohio
- VanMeter , C. , Jenkins, C., Peets, T. (2018) Meaningful Supervision. . All-Ohio Counselors Conference. Columbus, Ohio
- Tessmer, S., Peets, T., & VanMeter C .(2018) Supervision of Group Counseling: Guidelines, Strategies, & Techniques. Ohio Counseling Association; Spring Conference, Cleveland Ohio.